Friday, May 29, 2009

Ruminating on Miyazaki

This week and several days I have before summer class begins, I squeezed in as much book-reading and favorite-movie-watching as I could (along with over-sleeping). "Spirited Away" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", being two of my favorite movies, got watched this week, on 5/27. I wrote some stuff about them afterwards:
For movies like "Sprited Away", perhaps sequels wouldn't make sense because it's a once-in-a-lifetime-experience, as opposed to just a simple story/narration.
In "Kiki's Delivery Service", when Kiki misses the party she was going to, perhaps it's a representation of all of our missed opportunities, all those "curse missed opporunities", especially those we had a chance to take. Kiki COULD have gone to that party, just chose not to go, for whatever reasons. Curse missed opportunities.
***
This is all a reflection partly due to people on IMDB wondering if there will ever be a sequel made of "Spirited Away" (Miyazaki would not allow it, I'm sure), and because Coldplay's song "Clocks", something I was listening to recently, talks of "missed opportunities". And I sure have missed a shitload of opportunities in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment